How to Stay Motivated
We have learned why strength training is so good for us, but let’s face it, doing the same squat routine repeatedly can get a little redundant and boring. The key being successful with your strength training is all about keeping your motivation high. Here are some tips to help you keep things fresh!
- Find a friend. Workouts are more fun with friends and we tend to adopt habits our friends have. Also, finding a workout buddy helps us stay motivated because the other person is relying on you for their workout too!
- Sleep is an underrated aspect of health. Getting enough sleep is essential, especially if you are exercising regularly and fatiguing your muscles. Allow yourself to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
- Try a new routine. We all get stuck in a rut with our workouts! Try adding reps or increasing weights to mix things up. You can also try new moves all together and mix in squat or plank holds. If you’re typically a person who exercises on their own, try attending a boot camp or group class to get reenergized.
- Music or podcasts. Music can be a very motivational tool while strength training. Try loading your phone or iPod with 100 motivational and energizing songs. If you are tired of music, switch to a podcast, they can be the perfect accessory to a lighter workout day.
- Small rewards. Set short term and long-term goals and reward yourself when those goals are met. Make sure the rewards are worth it to you though!