Eat Your Colors
Taste the Rainbow!
No, this is not in an effort to get you to eat more Skittles. We are talking about the vegetable and fruit rainbow. Eating many different colors throughout the day helps us get a variety of nutrients our body needs to continue functioning properly. Fruit and vegetables are also full of vitamins and minerals. What you may not know is that the vitamins and minerals are what determine the colors.
It is important to our health that we strive to eat many different colors each day. This will help us get a variety of nutrients our body needs to continue to function.
Here are some color examples:
- Green: Spinach aids kidney function
- Orange: Carrots help prevent eye diseases like macular degeneration and blindness
- Red: Tomatoes improve heart and blood function
- Blue: Blueberries keep your bladder healthy
- Yellow: Bananas assist in keeping your cholesterol levels healthy
If you are in the habit of eating the same things over and over, challenge yourself to mix it up! Try to eat at least one serving of each of the above color groups per day. How many colors can you fit into one meal?