The Importance of EAP Benefits
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) found that 74% of businesses offer employee assistance program (EAP) services to their employees. An EAP can help you with personal or work-related problems that can impact your job performance, health, and mental and emotional well-being. In most cases, employee assistance programs can be used by you, as well as immediate family members. Often, if a loved one is struggling from a personal issue, it affects our lives too.
Some employer assistance programs may be limited to specific services, but most offer expanded services to address a variety of issues. Typical issues addressed with EAP services include: Alcohol or substance abuse, smoking cessation, divorce/marital problems, stress management, crisis intervention, child care, elder care, eating disorders, gambling addiction, psychological or psychiatric problems, financial problems, and legal problems. A lot of EAP programs will even cover basic will preparation, which is something everyone needs in their lives at some point.
Typical features and ways an EAP service can help you in times of need include:
- Direct access to call a psychologist office
- Quick responses so counseling sessions can occur within a few days and crisis situations are dealt with immediately
- Counselors have their doctorate degree in clinical psychology and are experts in human behavior
- The services are completely confidential and aren’t reported back to the employer
- Counseling can take place at a psychologist office and the plan includes some in-person visits
- Referrals can be made if a patient requires long-term care
- A 24-hour hotline with offices located near you
It is important to remember that EAP services are completely confidential and reasons for use or who used a service is never reported back to your employer. EAP programs are truly a trustworthy benefit for you and your family to take advantage of. If you think you could benefit from services of an EAP, make sure to ask your employer if your company has one and how to use it.