Healthy Tailgate Tips
Ahh! The sweet smell of…FOOTBALL! Fall is approaching and football will soon be in full swing. We all look forward to gathering with friends and family for drinks, food, and a good game.
According to Nationwide, approximately 50 million people tailgate each year in the United States. Why not try to incorporate healthy food and drinks into your tailgate traditions?
Here are some helpful tips for a healthier tailgate:
- Offer healthy burger fixings like avocado, tomato, and lettuce.
- Stick to mustard, which is lower in calories and carbohydrates than ketchup.
- Make a chili or stew in colder months, and pack in the veggies!
- If you are a dip lover like me, pair it with fruits and vegetables instead of chips and crackers.
- Try sliders instead of full-size sandwiches or burgers.
- Provide a healthy side option like black bean and corn salad or fresh fruit.
- Put snacks in individual containers to avoid overeating.
- Replace brownies and cookies with fruit dishes and whipped cream for desserts.